Monday 25 June 2012

Embarrassing Wax Troubles! - Plus Review


Hi Everyone!


First of all thanks for reading my very first (technically second!) blog post!


(Please excuse any huge gaps whilst I get used to this layout/set up!)


Ok, so we're all friends here, and i'd like to start off by sharing something a little bit embarrassing with you all related to waxing... (no... stop that!... thats not what i'm going to say!) Basically I was filming my first youtube video, a swap that I did with one of my favourite youtube beauty girls (and who I share the same awesome name with) Mimi, from MimiZlife. As I sat there infront of my camera and began talking about the first few items, I began swatching on my hand, and to my horror i noticed.... I have hair on my hands!!


Ok so i've always known its been there, I mean everybody has it... right? and its not like I have a whole Chubacca situation going on, but holy begesus! if you put a line of lipstick on top of it, its literally like painting a huge arrow on your hand saying 'LOOK AT ME! I'M HAIRY!' Not cute! So this moves me on to the actual point of this blog post, an at home wax review. A long time ago i bought a jar of Babyliss Pro 'Satin Smooth Cold Wax: Honey and Aloe Vera Water-Soluble Hair Removal' Being a 100% natural product I had high hopes for it. The ingredients list reads that it simply contains sugar, honey aloe vera, chamomile and lemon juice, I felt like I would be doing my skin some good with this, like I was providing it with a lovely cushty natural slather of product... before I ripped the top layer and all the hair off in one sweep!




Satin Smooth Cold Wax: Grainy :S
Satin Smooth Cold Wax: £6.99 eBay




















As i warmed the lovely natural wax in a bowl of boiling water (you can't microwave it... the first of its many flaws) I noticed it really wasn't getting runny or... well... waxey! and it remained a fairly grainy texture, with un-melted chunks of sugar sticking to the edges of the pot. Basically, it was solid lump with a few floating pools of liquid wax on top! I used this to wax my eyebrows, and it was ok, but quite frankly if you wanted to do your legs... good luck! I think i'd have to melt this for about an hour to just to get enough melted to do my ankle! (confession time, I have been known to do this when feeling extremely lazy! I mean come on, leggings hide a vast majority of your legs!... nope... not acceptable?...)














Since buying the wax about 6 months ago it has lived in the depths of my underwear drawer, only being bought out once or twice again just incase it miraculously turned in to some holy grail of waxing products. It didn't. And from then on I just used those pre-coated strips, painful, but got the job done.


Veet Oriental Wax: £5.49 Reduced, Boots
Was £7.99
So after the slap in the face disappointment of the natural wax, claiming to 'turn skin into silk'... (well, i suppose it did, after rigorous melting and only on the smallest patches of hair on the entire human body!), I decided it was time to bin the cold wax and try something else, after all, I had my hobbit hands to take care of! so I went into the tiny Boots store where I live and picked up the only pot of melted wax that they had, 'Veet Institut Professional Quality Oriental Wax: Essential Oils and Floral Vanilla Fragrance' [sic]. Although it makes no great claims on the front, it is actually simply a blend of sugar and essential oils, and whilst it looks like something you would use to waterproof a roof, it smells DIVINE! 


Veet Oriental Wax: Tar... Yummy Tar!
Asides from the look and smell, this wax genuinely does what it says on the box, and in my eyes is just as good as anything used on my legs at a salon. It is conveniently microwavable, and only takes 45 seconds to melt a whole pot, and my skin doesn't feel like its had all the moisture ripped out of it, but as if just the hairs have been removed, without any of the top layer of skin, and whilst this may not technically be the case, it simply feels like its pretty painlessly removing the hair follicle from the root. I will definitely be re-purchasing this product! 


After all of this, I am pleased to say that in my upcoming videos I will be showing swatches, on my beautiful, hair free, smooth as a baby's butt, hands! :D 


Love Mimi XXX


www.youtube.com/mimidoesbeauty


www.twitter.com/mimilouise1989


(All views are my own, products purchased with my own money)





2 comments:

  1. You are so funny! I use to wax but it can get kind of messy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your sense of humour, it will be my first time waxing but not my hands thank God.

    ReplyDelete